cylinder head re-torque

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: cylinder head re-torque
From: "George Parker" <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 12:53:06 -0400
Ok, so I read about the car needing the new head gasket because the DPO
didn't properly torque or re-torque the cylinder head bolts following the
rebuild.  Since I'm just now getting my car back on line (sort of) following
a rebuild a few years ago (car has less than 100 miles and maybe a couple
hours run time while I tried to time/tune), my questions are these:

1.  *WHEN* is the proper time to retorque head bolts?

2.  In the process of *RE*-torqueing the bolts, does one first loosen the
bolt and then tighten to proper torque, or merely tighten to the proper
torque?

3.  Anything else I should know?

Thanks,

George P.