Gearbox input shaft play.

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox input shaft play.
From: "David Armitage" <David.Armitage@nottingham.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:37:50 +0000
Hi all,

I've just taken the engine and gearbox from my MkII, and am checking various
things over. I'd been having some trouble with the clutch not disengaging
properly last time the car was used, and still haven't solved it. On taking the
gearbox off the engine I noticed there is a little play in the input shaft. It
moves by about 1mm (at the shaft end) perpendicular to the shaft, but there is
little play pushing and pulling towards the box. Is this usual. Also, can
anyone let me know where the shaft wears and how I can tell if this has been
causing the clutch drag?

Many thanks in anticipation,

David