Re: Steering wheel leather

To: "Laura G." <Laura.G@141.com>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel leather
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:10:16 -0500
Laura-
About a week or so ago another lister(maybe on Triumph list- don't recall)
asked a similar question-

I actually went to the steering wheel section of the local Pep Boys and
found a great replacement leather cover there. Not the foam filler vinyl
one, but genuine thin leather, with just about the exact grain as the
original. It was a "Superskin Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover (PN)
58-0650B Black" and was made by Superior Industries International Inc, Van
Nuys Cal. 91406-1788

I did have to trim it by about 1/4" or so on either side, to fit the narrow
Spitfire steering wheel, but, once stitched in place, it looks great! (The
original covering had a single joint, which was placed vertically in the
middle of the bottom spoke footing, but these have two, and they can be
nicely set evenly to either side of the bottom spoke.) Stitching
instructions, needles and thread are included, although my trimming removed
their pre done holes, a sharper needle will be needed.

It took about 4 hours to trim and stitch the cover in place, but it was
certainly worth it- it looks wonderful, and really freshened up the wheel.

Scott
64 Herald 1200 Convertible with Spitfire silver spoke steering wheel