Re: Steering wheel leather

To: <Laura.G@141.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Steering wheel leather
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 08:05:44 -0500
Are you talking about  re-stitching a split seam in an area, or installing new
leather all the way around the wheel?

If it's the first, I've done similar leather work.  It's not hard to do a
functional job, but quite a bit harder to do an esthetically pleasing job.
Matching the existing thread is often far more difficult then you'd expect
(sorta like trying to match buttons).  Running the stitches through the
existing holes is pretty easy.  Usually the leather will have shrunken, making
it impossible to pull the seam up tight at first.  Soak the leather in the area
with rubbing alcohol.  Go all the way around the wheel rim radially (from seam
to seam) with it to allow all the leather to restretch, preventing thin areas.
Rubbing alcohol allows leather to stretch.  It works by relaxing the adhesion
between the fiberous bonds.  It's also how manufacturers make tissue paper soft
(useless knowledge that might win you a drink in a bar some time).  Stitch the
area loosely, and then start working the seam tight progressively.  Otherwise
you run the strong risk of ripping out or creating creases.

If instead you're talking about doing the entire wheel, I have not done that
job.  I can speculate on it, but I don't have direct first hand experience at
it.  You can get leather at a Tandy leather store, they're around still.  You
can also get some from an upholstery shop.

>>> "Laura G." <Laura.G@141.com> 02/09 3:52 AM >>>

Hi there listers,

Has anybody out there actually restitched the leather on their steering
wheel themselves?
I love my steering wheel very, very much. And now that the spokes are all
polished-it's
gorgeous! I had the leather filled in the bad places and resprayed, and it
looked good for
a couple of weeks. But, it was just too far gone even at that point. Other
than settle for a
new steering wheel-which I can neither afford at this point-or even *want*
(I really like
the one I have-it's original)-I can have the leather restitched.
However, no one I know wants to take on that job-from what I understand,
it's not a very fun job.
And the one who will do it wants as much as a new wheel to do it!

I'm not too bad with a needle, but I've never done leather-where would I
look for leather? What
would be the proper type? Where would I start-literally and figuratively?

Any input, anybody?

TIA,
Laura G.
Vita brevis est: rapide agite, vigore strigate!