Re: Carpet/Interior

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carpet/Interior
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 12:35:29 -0500
Joe's right, but if money is more of an issue and you're
willing to settle a bit on appearance, you can make your
own carpet set.  The later 1500s with the additional trim
on the driveshaft tunnel/handbrake cover makes life a little
easier.  Make templates out of cardboard and carefully glue
the pieces in.  They tend to "learn" their shape over time.
I have two separate pieces to cover the tranny tunnel, one
behind the console and one in front (that's the most difficult
piece).

There is some unraveling with unbound edges, but if you carefully
tuck everything in, this can be minimized.

If you're going to do this, you may want to consider building
a shelf in the rear area about 2 inches off that curved area
out of wood.  The flat shelf is more convenient, under the shelf
is a great place for speakers, you can add a console for cupholders
and it will be easier to carpet.  It can be easily removed if you
ever want to go back to original.

My .02

Greg Rowe