SU questions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: SU questions
From: "George Parker" <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:09:44 -0500
Hi list,

I've been lurking for quite a while, and, in fact, belonged to this list
once before, several years ago.  Since there's been a lot of talk about SUs
and jets recently, I thought I'd mention/ask the following:

I have a '78 Spit which has had the engine rebuilt with the Kent
"hot-street" cam, Crane ignition, 9:1 pistons (.030 over), Kirk racing
header, etc.  I also got a set of HS-4s and had them rebuilt by a guy in OK
(I think) whose first name is Jim, but the last name escapes me.  He does a
lot of SUs for Jags, etc.  He put in specific jets/needles for my
application (Spit 1500).  I'm still (and have been for too long now to
mention) in the throes of tuning and timing this thing and am wondering
this:  Once I get the timing down and get around to actually "tuning" the
carbs, how will I know if I need to change the jets and/or needles (since I
don't have a stock Spit 1500)?  Also, how do I find out which way to go with
jets and/or needles?

Unrelated to SUs - I found that the little plastic "block" (long, 2 scres
holding it to the door, trapezoidal shaped if you look at it from the side)
which the set screw for the driver's side mirror tightens against has
broken.  Anyone know of any sources for a machined aluminum block?  Since
this is the second one that's broken on me (the pass side broke long ago and
was repaired with epoxy - may have to do that here), I have to believe that
I'm not alone.  If no sources, any machinists willing to work up a few?  I
could probably work up some fairly accurate drawings, I just have no
tools/skills for machining something like this.

Thanks,

George P.