Re: Spitfire heater valve quality, and manifold heat

To: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>,
Subject: Re: Spitfire heater valve quality, and manifold heat
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 11:07:24 -0500
I think that since the incoming air (during relatively high power/RPM
operation) spends very little time in the manifold, it will not
really heat up all that much.

I think the heated manifold has two main benefits:

1: Warming up cold air during idle (when the airflow is low).

2: Most important, reducing the tendency of the vaporized petrol
to condense on the manifold walls during cold weather and/or idle
operating conditions.

But if you don't drive the car much in the winter, you might never
notice the lack of the heated manifold...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit