Re: Spitfire heater valve quality, and manifold heat

To: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>,
Subject: Re: Spitfire heater valve quality, and manifold heat
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 07:53:24 -0800 (PST)
Richard,
The purpose of the manifold coolant line is to promote
more complete vaporization of fuel, and to avoid
icing, and pooling of liquid fuel in the manifold.
It's an old designer's trick, lot's of motors used
exhaust gas routed through passages in the intake
manifold, the classic 'hot spot' method.
Once the engine and manifolds reach thermal
equilibrium, the coolant is not that much hotter, so
the cost of a thermostat to disable flow through the
manifold was not considered cost effective.
I've routinely left the passage disconnected, but then
again I live in Florida, so cold starting and running
is seldom a concern.
Port fuel injection on modern cars largely eliminates
this concern.

Carter Shore

--- Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>