Re: Parts Vendors

To: "John & Judy Tones" <jtones@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Parts Vendors
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:16:58 -0500
John & Judy Tones wrote:

> However one great place no one has mentioned is Obsolete Automotive in
> Ontario (Canada)
> They have great inventory, the staff knows our cars and the prices are
well
> in line with the others. Great thing for you people in the US is the
dollar
> difference  which makes the prices even better. I have bought a lot of
stuff
> from them and its all been good quality. While they do not have a catalog
> they do have a web site that shows most stuff and the rest I order by
> description. They told me they are very willing to ship to the "States".
> www.opsoleteauto.com

Initially I decided to stay out of this one because it always seems to end
up as a diatribe against those who are our partners in this hobby. However,
this time it seems that people are just reporting on experiences and being
totally objective. So, here goes:

First, let's correct the above URL for Obsolete Automotive. It should be
http://www.obsoleteauto.com/  Also, I don't understand the constant
reference to the US$ and dealing with OA. My experience has been that if the
part is approx. $100 in the US, it is priced (for the most part) at $150
(Cdn), which requires $100 US to purchase...where's the great deal? They
also have a great monthly newsletter with "How To" articles including
pictures and monthly specials.

My favourite (note Cdn spelling) supplier is still TRF because I have always
received high quality parts and absolutely the best service bar none. Yes,
sometimes parts are not in stock and sometimes they may take a long time to
arrive (unless I cancel and purchase elsewhere)...but I always know that the
part will be a quality part and that I will be treated fairly and honestly.
To me those are valuable traits today and I respect that.

I do make a point of making purchases from several suppliers each year...if
for no other reason than to acknowledge that I appreciate their involvement
in our hobby. However, the bulk of my orders usually goes to TRF for the
quality of the parts and the professionalism of their operation and staff.

Cheers
Keith

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart
   |  \   /  |        75 Camden Road
   |   \_/   |        London, Ontario
   | 62 | TR4|        N5X 2K2
   | 67 |TR4A|        Canada
   | 70 |Spit|        Home:    (519)660-1916
 __|    |Mk3 |__      E-Mail:  kstewart@wwdc.com
 \T \___|___/ H/      (and a 68 Triumph Trophy 250)
  \ R I U M P /
(and now a 74 Spit 1500 for my daughter)