Re: Help Rebuild Cilinder Head

To: Bob Coe <coeb@cadvision.com>
Subject: Re: Help Rebuild Cilinder Head
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:10:22 -0500
Sorry that I can't be real help here but I think the shop is looking for the
info for a reason. When valve work is done, the thickness of the valve gets
thinner as the mating surface is machined. If the thickness gets too small, the
heat dissipation is minimized in this area and burned valves are a result. I
would guess that they are looking for some measurement in the area of 20 thou or
more. Just my guess. I would have to look (at home) to see if it is in the shop
manual. Or another lister has it handy now???? Jump in here guys!

I have a practice head that I'm learning to port and polish. It has the valve
stem seals on it. I found it interesting that when I trial-fitted dual valve
springs, they won't fit over the valve stem seals. I don't think the seals are a
standard items on these engines but can be fitted using seals from other models.
But other listers may know better.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario