Re: Tow Dollies

To: "Mark Gardner" <mrgrdnr@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Tow Dollies
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 22:14:53 -0500
Just for you guys (and gals) to laugh at, my admission of culpability in the
commission of a "stupid"...Since we're on the subject of transports, my
thesis on why not to use gravity to load a car...(Pics available, but can't
be sent through the list- it removes them)

I had to go to Baltimore to get my "new" car... I rented a U-Haul car
transport, and headed to Towson (NW of Baltimore )MD to pick up the car.

I arrived in the mid to late afternoon at the garage which the car called
home the past few years. My friend met me there shortly after I turned both
my F-150 and the car carrier 180 degrees in a dead end alley between two
rows of garages. The two of us, both educated, and experienced with cars,
were obviously a little clouded that day. Looking at the ramp angle, and
figuring a hard push up hill, we decided to park the truck and car carrier
on the slightly down hill access alley, and almost level the ramp.  Well,
this worked fine- to a point. We carefully, and easily got the car started
on the ramps, and then tried easing her the rest of the way. Gravity, being
a good friend, took a hand and helped move the car the rest of the way down
the carrier. Unfortunately, gravity is a little too eager to be helpful, and
helped the car down- right over and past the cinderblock piece I had set to
stop it just past where it reached being fully on the carrier. And a little
farther- making me regret my joke about opening the tailgate of the truck,
and jumping it in! She rolled forward just enough to jump her front tires
over the stops at the end of the ramp, coming to a rest with tires hanging
two, and set on her frame.

Well, this being a naturally untenable position for a car, as well as a
painful one for the new owner, we had to rectify the situation. I carefully
backed up the little incline to level ground, and commenced to try to figure
it out.  After trying to use 2x4's to hoist her up to no avail, I commenced
on a plan of lowering- I raised the tongue of the carrier off the ball
hitch(utilizing the wonderful little screw jack which is permanently
attached to the auto transport for unhooking the loaded carrier from the tow
vehicle), disconnected the whole thing and pulled forward. Then we set some
cinder blocks (A small pile about 2 cb's high, and three long) under the
tires, and, again, using the built in jack, lowered the carrier to the
ground.  The tires stayed on the cinder blocks, and we straightened the
steering, and pushed the little car backwards onto the carrier. This worked
very well, with no damage other then some scraped paint, and bruised egos.

The rest of the trip was uneventful, although when I got home, I removed the
car by myself- top and windows down, of course, I set the ramps in place,
and pushed the little Herald backwards, then ran alongside as it rolled up
the drive and pulled the parking brake to stop her. She stopped, and was
covered for the night.

Anytime I get feeling too smart, I just remind myself of this incident, and
set my feet back on earth.

Scott
64 Herald 1200 Convertible with delusions of grandeur(Sometimes thinks she's
a jag...lol)