Voltage Stabiliser

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Voltage Stabiliser
From: Alan Lemen <alemen@ftconnect.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 17:23:08 -0800
Now that all is running fine I thought I would look at the fuel and
temperature gauges as to why they never read very high. Fuel gauge never
gets much above half with a full tank and the temperature gauge never
moves to about more than one eighth. It did move higher once before  -
before I fixed the faulty fan clutch and on a hot day in traffic!

Tests:
Short sensor side to ground give full scale readings on both gauges.

Fuel sensor resistance about 100 ohm (about half tank I think) and
temperature sensor about 300 ohm with engine relatively cool. Both
gauges do move as the temperature changes and the tank empties.

Voltage on stabiliser side of instruments is all over the place on my
DVM. Max is just over 11v and min just over 6v.  Since the engine is not
running and it's simply the battery I did not expect this. I had hoped
to see stable 10v (I am sure I had seen this value somewhere before and
it has to be less than the battery voltage).

Question is what voltage should it be and should it be stable. It is
supposed to be a stabiliser.

Alan