Re: RE: gas pricing (down under)

To: "McKey, Paul" <P.J.McKey@massey.ac.nz>,
Subject: Re: RE: gas pricing (down under)
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 19:35:22 -0700
> I had no idea how "cheap" your gas was!  Here in New Zealand we're currently
> paying NZ$1.07 per litre.  Converting to US$ and gallons, this works out to
> US$2.07 per gallon.  And of course I know they're paying even more than that
> in the UK!

But at least they had a little tax revolt a few months back-(gotta start
somewhere!) Thank the gas gods that our government hasn't dared put any more
tax on gas here. (No, in California, they're too busy dealing with
de-regulation of the electric companies! Can't wait to see *that* revolt!)

> NOW I understand how some of you guys can afford to run those big American
> cars and SUV's!

Some of us...and there are many of "us" who run these big SUVs (american cars
aren't so big-but the trucks! Huge!) who are swimming in credit debt and that's
how they afford it. I can only afford to run the Spitfire and that just barely
and only because Chevron was kind enough to give me a credit card with a good
line of credit!

> You know (and so do they...) it doesn't matter how much it costs, we're
> still going to buy it!

Well, I must know the wrong people because I do know people who still buy
it-but not as much because they can't afford it. They have a gas budget and
that's that! Not all Americans are rich (just as not all Americans are "ugly".)

Laura G.

Vita brevis est: rapide agite, vigore strigate!