Re: ALternator gone south

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ALternator gone south
From: Terry Thompson <epharisto@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 18:27:59 -0800 (PST)
Sounds like you've got a pretty messed-up wiring
harness, Atwell.

On the late model spitfires, there are two
brown-yellow wires. One is for an indicator light and
the other feeds the battery through the starter
solenoid. The larger br/y wire (that charges the
battery) is not part of the circuit of the indicator
light.
The smaller brown-yellow wire feeds the bulb and just
lets you know if the alternator stops producing
voltage. Which is why it doesn't come on if you have
corrosion on the terminals or a bad battery or cell,
or a disconnected positive battery terminal.

If your car stops charging when you pull the bulb,
you're not wired correctly (or atleast not per the
factory wiring). But I'm not sure how your car is
wired, but that doesn't sound good for your car.

-Terry
'76 Spit 1500

http://photos.yahoo.com/