ALternator gone south

To: "Howard Baugues" <bauguesh@abcs.com>,
Subject: ALternator gone south
From: Alan Lemen <alemen@ftconnect.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 16:54:34 -0800
Well I finally got my hardtop on last weekend but had problems starting
the car. Jump started her and got her running. Had to push it home one
block when it stalled on me as it had not warmed up and I pushed the
choke too far home. Turns out it was a flat battery, so I charged it up
and today I discovered that the alternator is not charging.

Symptoms are ignition light never comes on. Battery is 12.9v no load
12.5 v with engine running. Which proves no charge as I expected about
14v with the engine running. So I pulled the alternator and removed the
end cover physically it looks OK, but just wondering if given the
symptoms it's worth going further and trying to fix it.

What's the consensus on the problem? Brushes? Diode pack?

Meanwhile I am rebuilding the HS4 pair I got in the UK in the summer.
One carb is rebuilt, other is soaking.

Alan