Re: Spitfires in the movies

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfires in the movies
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:25:44 -0500
>From: Terry Thompson <epharisto@yahoo.com>
>
>While we're on the subject of our cameo-cars. There's
>a small list of movies by the model that appeared and
>in some cases a description of scene the car was in,
>at the www.team.net/www/triumph/ web page.

<snip>

>I noticed (as I'm sure most of you have) that they
>failed to list that '86 cult classic The Wraith. The
>cook for the burger joint drove a yellow spitfire. I
>seem to remember it having a shelby style stripe, and
>side window air deflectors.

Yes, it did seem to have GT6 doors.  And let's not forget
the gray primer on the bonnet!  I caught this movie last
weekend on cable when flipping channels and the spitfire
caught my eye.  I know this movie is a cult classic,
but I found it PAINFUL. I sat through the rest of it
hoping to see a great driving scene with the spitfire,
but they only panned past it in the parking lot
a couple of times.  Disappointing.

>And I don't expect anyone to fess-up to it owning the
>movie, or even having seen it, but...Did I catch a
>glimpse of a spitfire at the very end of PeeWee's Big
>Adventure?

We taped it off the TV when the kids were younger and we
can't throw the tape out because it also contains A Christmas
Story ("you'll put your eye out kid") and that ONE is a keeper!

>At the end of the movie, he's walking
>through the drive-in parking lot, and I could have
>sworn I saw him walk buy a bug-eyed car of some sort.
>I was flipping the channels, and by the time I flipped
>back it was gone, so it was probably on screen for a
>split(fire) second.
>
>If anyone knows what that car was, or if they have the
>movie, can you fast forward to the end and let me
>know? I don't want to have to rent it.

I don't think that you ever get a really good look at
the car in the dark, but it's definitely not a spitfire.
If I had to guess, and I don't but I will anyway, I would
say a MGA.

Greg Rowe