Re: Winter Spitfire Touring - no technical content

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Winter Spitfire Touring - no technical content
From: reed mideke <rfm@cruzers.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 17:49:26 -0800
Nolan Penney wrote:

> Mine is getting more use this winter then it did all summer.  I've found a
>way to
> rationalize my Spitfire, it's now my work vehicle; I use it to run my trap
>line.  Who
> needs a truck or 4wd, just go cautiously and carefully with the Spitfire!
>Ok, so I can't
> get back as far into the fields with the Spitfire as I could with a 4x4, but
>at least I'm
> out having fun with it.

I've found my spit to be a very good back roads vehicle. We have a lot
of
mountain dirt roads out here in central CA, and while the spit doesn't
have
the ground clearance*, it is small and nimble enough to get around most
obstacles. And having a near 50/50 weight ballance makes it very well
behaved on loose surfaces. Plus, off-road is about the only place that
swing axle suspension is actually an advantage ;-)
My spit has been a number of places where suburban yuppies wouldn't
take their SUVs...

> Park it at home and wait for summer?  Never!  That's one of the advantages of
>having a
> rather ratty Spitfire!  One can have a ball year round with it in tatty
>condition.  :-)
Amen !

* unless it's this one: http://members.aol.com/danmas/spit4x4.htm !
--
Reed Mideke                  rfm(at)cruzers.com