Winter Spitfire Touring - no technical content

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Winter Spitfire Touring - no technical content
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 19:29:04 -0500
Last night, I had 200 mile trip to make, one that I've
made succesfully many times in the spitfire in warmer weather.
Although the forecast was for below freezing temperatures
and snow flurries, I wasn't too concerned.  The first 170 miles
were uneventful, particularly the interstates.  I did spend some
time on some country back roads and this was special.  Snow
earlier in the day had covered most of the ground although the
roads were clear.  It was quite a treat to suddenly enter the
small towns in the dark and see the houses all lit up with
Christmas lights glowing off the snow.  Magical.

About 20 miles from my destination, it began to flurry and then
snow harder.  Within minutes the interstate was completely snow
covered and visibility had dropped.  I slowed to about 30 mph in
third gear as the pickups and SUVs whizzed by me.  The last 15
miles were on a two lane unlit back road with lots of curves and
hills.  Since every thing was blanketed in snow, it was quite
impossible to tell where the sides of the road were and since
I was the only car (e.g. fool) on the road, there were no tires
tracks to follow.  Worse it was snowing and blowing so bad that
visibility was just about nil with both high beams and dipped
beams simply reflecting back off the snow flakes.  I just crawled
down the middle of the road in second and third gear, white
knuckled and hoping for the best.  It took me close to an hour
to cover the last 15 miles.  No fun at all.

This morning when I got up, the thermometer said that it was 14
degrees (-10 Celsius) and I was sure that the Spit wouldn't start.
Although it cranked slowly (darn 20W50 oil!), it actually started
on the first try.  I never did get much heat, but at least enough
to defrost the windshield was produced.

So here it is, not even December 21st yet and I've already had more
than enough winter for this year.

Greg Rowe
78 Spitfire (badly needs a bath)