RE: Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise

To: "'Chris Sharp'" <sharpc@interaxs.net>,
Subject: RE: Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise
From: "Mitchell, Doug (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 07:41:52 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Sharp [mailto:sharpc@interaxs.net]
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 3:30 PM
To: Spitfires List Server (E-mail)

> Hey Laura-

> Woodward Avenue is a 16 mile stretch of 8-lane road that runs from Pontiac
> Michigan to Detroit.  Used to be a hang out for all of the gear heads in
the
> area, still is in many respects.  Rumor has it that the Big Three used to
> use Woodward as an unofficial test strip and would bring out all kinds of
> radical hi-po stuff back in the '60s.

Believe me, it really happened. I remember my Dad taking one
of his test cars on Woodward and running it. I know that some
of the other engineers did the same thing.

Woodward was also a place (non PC warning) to pick up chicks on
Friday and Saturday night. With 4 lanes, many drive-ins and
other parking lots, it was a hang out for every one with wheels,
not just gear heads. Car loads of teen-agers and twenty-somethings
with hormones raging!

> I think the last one was 16 Aug 2000.  The next one is scheduled for
> Saturday, 18 Aug 2001.  See http://www.dreamcruise.org/ for details.

It is always scheduled for the 3rd Saturday in August. The Dream
Cruise was started as a way for one of the communities to bring
in the tourists. And how it has grown. You can buy a video from
one of the local TV stations of some of the cars as well as some
of the local celebrities. If you are interested, check out the
Dream Cruise site listed above.

Cheers,

--
Doug Mitchell