Re: Hot Start Problem, 1980 ZS carb - Update

To: jweale <jweale@eskimo.com>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hot Start Problem, 1980 ZS carb - Update
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 04 Dec 2000 08:18:30 -0600
John,

Blimey, that sounded a bit scary!  I hope the damage isn't too severe.  I hope
 also that the starter motor isn't too badly fried - wherever you get a
 replacement, they will want your old one in exchange, or you will get a
 surcharge (unless you are planning on picking up a used on from The Graveyard
 or somewhere like that).  I replaced my starter a while back (just old age,
 stopped turning the engine with any enthusiasm), I don't remember having to
 remove the fuel pump or anything like that, just two bolts holding it on and
 one nut for the wire and the whole thing came out easily.

Check your wiring sequence very carefully after you re-install the starter,
 before you try using it - I hate to say this, but since your starter was
 sort-of working before you cleaned up the connections, and everything went
 bang after you worked on it, is it possible that the work you did caused the
 fire?

I'm sorry to hear you are stuck with a scooter for your commuting until this is
 fixed - it is not exactly the weather for it today!!  I'd call in sick and use
 the day off to fix your car - just don't mention that it is Saskia that is
 sick and not you.  That's what I did  when Daffy's starter went as I got into
 her to head to work - I hope my boss isn't looking over my shoulder as I type
 this!!

Richard & Daffy