Re: Engine Rebuild

To: "Spit Elist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild
From: "Ken C" <sdspitfire@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:53:03 -0800
I agree. Wait till you see the need after all the engine work has been done.
I had the heads shaved a bit (9.5:1) and the pushrods are ok. I guess the
rocker arms might be angled a bit, but that should not be a problem.

It still amazes me to be able to find all these neat parts available for a
motor that hasn't been made for 20 years.

If a reasonable street engine rebuild is done, it should produce 75-95 hp,
maybe more. You still are going to have trouble keeping up with that Geo,
but a lot of fun. If you are thinking of spending more than, say,
$1500-$2000, it might be worthwhile to consider an engine transplant.
Anything from a GT6, Ford V6 on up has been done, all the way to a 454 ci
Chevy! I kinda like the small 1.2-1.5 liter motors. All this noise and
you're only going 35 mph !

Ken C

> I think this pushrod thing is often overstated.  I was prepared to shorten
the pushrods on my 1296 engine with 11.6:1 compression ratio
> but found that there is a lot of wiggle room in the engine that allows for
quite a bit of modification without having to touch the