Re: After market Rims

To: PorscheRcr@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: After market Rims
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 07:36:07 -0400
Your whole answer is right here at http://www.prirace.com/hubs.htm
It's an aluminum spacer for the rear, with different bolt spacing installed.
Up front, it's a replacement hub assembly.   $599 for a GT6, $749 for
a Spitfire.  The Spitfire's higher price is because it includes at least
the GT6 axle stub.  Aluminum hubs and spacers are trick and "kewl",
but they aren't noted for being particularly strong.  The rear adapter is
downright frightening to me.  I have visions of the studs ripping through
the aluminum while cornering hard.

The japanese 100mm spacing is pretty close to a GT6/Spitfire
wheel lug spacing (yes, they are the same  btw).  I understand
the stock hubs can be redrilled for this.  Don't know how much
steel that leaves around the hub edge though.  Regardless,
this spacing allows you to fit wheels designed for fwd cars, with
the completely wrong offset.  So you'd have to be very carefull
selecting wheels.

There are several companies that advertise they will drill their
rims for whatever lug pattern is needed.  If you're willing to
run steel wheels, Summet racing sells them for as low as
$30 each or there abouts.  Then you can have your 16x10
wheels, and rub everything in sight. :-)

>>> <PorscheRcr@aol.com> 09/28 2:33 AM >>>

Has anyone tried these folks?  I know what they're selling is aimed at GT6's,
is the bolt pattern the same?
 <A HREF="http://www.prirace.com/";>Performance Research Industries</A>
They claim to be able to fit 15x6.5 and 16x7 wheels under stock GT6
fenderwells with their hubs.  I haven't gotten around to talking to them yet
so I'm not sure what the whole story is.
Bill J.
'68 GT8