Fuel. Check. Fire. Fire. Hello, Fire?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel. Check. Fire. Fire. Hello, Fire?
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 20:30:16 -0700

Okay, maybe it isn't fuel at all.  The steady miss is still there and doing
the adjustments on the carbs really didn't help it much.  I could tell
where it was the best at, about 2.75 turns from being screwed in
completely, but it's still missing and low on power.  For giggles, I hooked
up the timing light to verify everything is firing.  At first I thought I
had a broken lead in the new timing light I got last week since I didn't
get any flashes for indication of the cylinders firing.  I tried the coil
wire and it flashes lots.  Tried cylinders 3 and 4 in the rear and they
flash reliably.  Tried 1 and 2 and nothing.  While the engine was running,
I pulled the first plug lead out of the distributor cap while wearing heavy
rubber gloves.  No change.  Let's try the second one.  No change.  Let's
try them both.  Amazingly, the engine didn't even notice.  I have physical
proof that only two cylinders are hooked up and it runs just the same.  I
hooked everything back up and pulled #3.  Engine starts stalling.  Pulled
#4, same thing.  Okay, whatever the steady miss is, it's in the first two
cylinders.  I pulled plug wires and replaced the front two.  No change.  If
you hold them next to a metal surface, they will fire.  If you pull them
from the distributor cap, they'll fire into the cap.  So if there is fire
running through the plug wires, then the timing light should be able to
detect and flash from it.  No dice.

Could it really be just a cap/rotor/plug wires tuneup necessary?

It's strange because I had confirmed it was all working earlier with the
same timing light.  I even swapped out the plug wires completely with
another used set (which was probably bad).

I just swapped out the cap and rotor for a known good set I had on my first
car for about 10 minutes when I had parked it originally.  Plopped that on
and it runs MUCH better- it's only missing on one cylinder.  A lot more
power too, but it's not acceptable with a steady miss.  It's one of the two
front cylinders and I cannot quite tell which.  I confirmed that all plugs
are firing now with the timing light too.

Is it possible I could be one position off on all the cylinders on the
distributor cap?  The standard numbering of cylinders on an engine is the
front of the engine is #1, but then I've not worked on LBC's so could it be
in the rear?  Which position on the cap is #1?

Failing this, I'll pull the plug and crank the engine over until it comes
up on the compression stroke for top dead center.  Then we'll see where the
distributor is pointing.

If I was indeed off one position, could it still run but miss steadily?

-Vegman Dan
-68 Spitui!
 |             |   Equinart Studios * Furry Artist * Model Railroader   |
 |     *U*     |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |             |     ConiFur NorthWest 2000 - Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |