Re: Suspension setup?!

To: A666K@aol.com, Spitfires Maillist <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Suspension setup?!
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 09:38:09 -0400
The shims for the rear control arms are used to setup the toe-in on the rear
wheels. It isn't much (1 degree if I remember right).

A lot of people have changed rear springs when they didn't have to because the
toe-in was gone. Sloppy bushings will play a factor here.

If you consider the car moving forward with both wheels with toe-in, the wheels
will tend to move towards the centre and lift the car. When it moves backwards,
the wheels tend to move outward and lower the car. Before anyone decides to
change their rear spring, get the rear alignment checked first. You may save a
few bucks in the end. Of course, I changed out my spring before I learned this
little tidbit. But the spring probably needed changing anyway as the PO had put
helper springs on it.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario