Re: GT6/Spit differentials

To: Michael Nugent <nugentmd@gte.net>
Subject: Re: GT6/Spit differentials
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 13:20:23 -0700
>Please check my "facts" (gleaned from emails):
>1. A GT6 differential is no stronger than a Spitfire's.
Yes and no, it all depends upon what year Spitfires were talking about -
A Spitfire MK4 and 1500 diff until about 1976 the above is true, after 76
the Spitfires is actually a little beefier, and before the MK4, the
Spitfires diff will be a little weaker - and will not interchange without
modifications to the drive flanges -
***************************************
>2. A GT6 driveshaft will connect to a Spitfire differential without
>problems.
**************************************
Again, only with any Spitfire made after 1970 provided the length is
correct, but I'm talking the flanges here -
*************************************
>I recognize there is a difference in ratio (my GT6 has overdrive, so it's
>not as much difference as it would be with a non-OD GT6)
************************************
That also depends, on the year of the vehicle in question.  If the GT
originally had overdrive (here in the states) it most likely had a 3.89:1.
Some Spitfires had this ratio, while a lot had 4.11:1.   Not a whole lot of
difference and depending upon which way you go you would either loose a
little acceleration or gain some at the expense of top end - however, if
you were swapping with one of the Spitfires that came with a 3.63, you
would notice quite a difference -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)