RE: stop press

To: "'John Cave'" <cavej@mcmaster.ca>,
Subject: RE: stop press
From: "Gascoigne, Andy" <Andy.Gascoigne@gov.ky>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 09:24:41 -0500
I've heard about this too(and it's something I feel strongly about)

The romantically-named 'Phoenix Group' is headed up by an ex-Rover man and
some other people from the UK car industry. It's a valliant attempt to
regain some credibility from a seemingly lost cause. Phoenix are hoping to
get several millions worth of aid from the UK Govt, as they only have around
200-million themselves. The Govt is caught in "Eurocracy" - in fact a
150-million pound grant was caught up in Brussels, intended for Rovers
current owners - BMW!

I am sceptical - in fact I think the whole BMW deal was rotten to the core.
They had ideas above their station BMW is still a 'family business' and
doesn't have the financial clout to match people like Ford or Volkswagen.

I hope that this comes off, but I think that Rover is doomed without some
serious help. Selling off "names" like "MG" and "Land Rover" just stinks. I
am glad Alchemy is out of the way, they had no intentions of doing anything
but making a fast buck.

Lets hope they can rise from the ashes (at least it's more feasible than
turning lead into gold)

Andy Gascoigne
http://www.spitfires.net

PS - If Rover folds, it will mean that the country's largest car
manufacturer is, wait for it; TVR !