RE: Oil pan sealant

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Oil pan sealant
From: "Banbury, Terrence" <Terrence.Banbury@dnr.state.oh.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:44:35 -0500
Permatex #2 is what I would use.  Clean all the metal surfaces that will
contact the gasket and then put a thin coat on the metal surfaces and the
gasket; then assemble.  This may sound like overkill, but it will ensure
that the sealant 'sticks' to all the surfaces and eliminates paths for oil
to leak through.  Like you said, you shouldn't over-torque the bolts because
that will cause the gasket to fail.
If the engine is warm, you might successfully remove the gasket without
damaging it, but it is not a guarantee.
Other products, (siliconized, etc.) may work but I've found this works well
for me.
My .02

Terrence Banbury
Mk III