gt6 on the fritz (longish)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: gt6 on the fritz (longish)
From: Thomas Carney <gt6in@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:06:39 -0800 (PST)
Hello all,

  Funny that everytime I write, it is because my gt6
is messed up(thankfully it is not too often),guess
that is because I always think I am giving bad advice.
 Anyway, I got stuck in Groton, CT last week returning
from springbreak.  The car is currently still there
and hour and a half south of me.  Seems to be ignition
related as it ran fine for 2+ hours then all of a
sudden power was fading then going on and off.  Got
progressively worse then I decided to stop after
changing points, condensor and rotor didn't help too
much.  I went down there today and the local cops
kicked me out of their municipal lot with nowhere to
go.  I replaced the coil and checked for a clogged gas
line and sticky carbs.  I found nothing wrong with the
gas.  This is all very odd to me since the problem was
instantaneous and the car still idles like it did
before and revs up fine.  But when I ask for juice in
gear it fails and supposedly backfires(the monza
leaves no guessing to that) sometimes with flashes of
light.  Any idea?
I need to find a local mechanic that can fix this for
me or is there someone near by that can help?  I am at
a loss and I can't exactly ask my girlfriend to drive
me down there every weekend.
Thanks
Tom