RE: 1979 spitfire

To: "'david'" <engstrom@tstonramp.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 1979 spitfire
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 07:44:48 -0500
Greetings Dave.  As for the lugs I don't know, can you give us some
measurements?  I have Appliance Racing Wheels on my car and if you have
those you will likely never find lugnuts, it would be easier to have your
wheels modified, but I think I am jumping the gun until you figure out what
they are.

no help on the smog stuff.  Anyone want a frozen up air pump?

Sway bar mount, this is common, what happens is the nut loosens and it
elongates the hole until it breaks.  You can find someone on the list that
has one, I did for $25.  But unless you are perfectly restoring the car, I
would take it to a weld shop and have them weld a plate over the front with
the proper size hole.  Once the arm is in place it will be almost impossible
to see.

Clutch pivot arm.  Best answer is to replace it and the bushings that hold
it, however that involves removing the tranny.  So as long as the bushings
are not completely shot and are letting the pin move about laterally I would
simply put RTV Black silicon in the holes to hold it still.  If it is moving
alot forward and backwards it will cause your clutch to slip.

X700 ignition set, nothing special that I know of, just set the timing as a
regular spit by turning te distributor.

Hope I helped.

Patrick Bowen