Re: Medium Whine

To: Patrick Baize <speedracre@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Medium Whine
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 06:44:05 -0800
>Hi All
>    I get a Medium Whine from the rear when driving at a constant speed
>above 65. Goes away on decel and accel.
***************************************
If this is the original diff, never been out of the car etc. then I would
say that the gear set is just about worn out, and will soon need to be
replaced before the whine turns to a growl - however, if this is a rebuilt
diff, then I suspect that somebody didn't quite correctly set up the gears -
It could also mean that your fluid (fluif, although this usually refers to
the brake and clutch variety, and I suppose it should rightfully remain so)
might be low or almost nonexistent and if left in that condition, the gear
set among other things will need replacing sooner than later :-)
I have done many small chassis differential rebuilds, and with all (except
one, that I didn't get spot on, my fault) they are very quiet with respect
to gear noise.  I never hear any whine, as it should be from any of the
rear ends I've rebuilt (with the exception noted and even that was not that
noticeable).  Even the latest one with a good used 3.63 TR7 gear set and
Quafie center section with quite a bit more horsepower behind it, no noise -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)