Re: Bleeding brakes !!

To: Ken C <kenwc@pacbell.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bleeding brakes !!
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:57:25 -0500
If you have too much air in the front brake section of master cylinder,
it may be unable to really pump anything.  One thing to try is
to pump hard and fast, while an able assistant opens and closes the bleeder
at the right times.  Or you can cover its outlet with your finger on the
up-stroke
of the pedal, and remove it on the down-stroke.

Also, is the pedal going all the way up?  On my car once, an improperly
installed brake light switch kept the pedal from coming all the way up.
As a result, the "tipping valve" was never tipped, and fluid could never
enter the cylinder from the reservoir.  (Actually, in my case, it could
never leave, and the front brakes slowly locked up as I drove down the highway
and the fluid warmed and expanded.)

Doug Braun
'72 Spit