Re: oil pan gasket leakage... Crankcase ventilation

To: <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: oil pan gasket leakage... Crankcase ventilation
From: "Chip Kigar" <ckigar@sound.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 17:37:06 -0600
The write-up you did addressed/solved the problem.  I took the 'Sunday
Afternoon easy way out' .  I removed the mechanical fuel pump and routed the
fuel line directly to the electric pump.  I then tore into the fuel pump.  I
removed the rod the drives the rubber diaphram.  I cut a hole through the
diaphram, leaving only enough rubber to act as a gasket.  I then drove out
the pivot pin that retains the lever that extends into the block, removed
the lever, then replaced the pin.  I re-assembled the fuel pump and replaced
it on the block.  I took two lengths of fuel line and slid them over the
nipples, routing them up.  When the engine runs, I can feel air pulsing
through the lines.  There doesn't seem to be any oil in the air, so I guess
the fuel pump is convoluted enough to trap it.  I intend to round up some
fittings to somehow finish off the ends of the vent hoses.  I think I have
another pump in my box of parts, so perhaps I'll be able to build a nicer
appearing 'crankcase ventilation system'
Not a very pretty answer, but a 'make do' one that worked
This did cure the oil leak.

Visit my DYI circle cutting jig page at:
http://www.sound.net/~ckigar/circle.htm