Rearend re-assembly tips??

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Rearend re-assembly tips??
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 17:54:47 -0500
Hello all,

I finally got my new garage fitted out to the point that I can actually
start working on my cars! So today I started with my differential swapout.
I have everything out  - it all came apart rather easier than I thought it
would. I expect that the new differential mounts I ordered from Spitbits
will be here tomorrow - brings me to my question - what's the best order
for putting it all back together? Seems a bit of a three dimensional
puzzle. Is it best to put the long bolt in the rear in first, then the
front mounts in loosely, then the studs? Any tricks on getting the studs
lined up? Seems like that is likely to be the worst part.

Also - how important is that "pad" that is supposed to be in between the
spring and the top of the diff? Freddy doesn't have one, and the one from
my parts car is in poor shape.

Interestingly, Freddy had four completely different studs holding the leaf
spring on - my first instance of DPO - I guess I have been pretty lucky!

Kevin Rhodes
Portland, Maine
Freddy the Spit
Heaven is a well-heated garage with a piece of scrap carpet to lay on!