Re: Body Shop Shopping Adventures/Frame work

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>,
Subject: Re: Body Shop Shopping Adventures/Frame work
From: "D.T.Gebhard" <kimkell@decaturnet.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 20:27:08 -0500
Reading this makes me laugh because when I got my Spit
it needed some frame work near the rear end. Well a
local weld shop looked at it and *estimated* a price of
$1800-2200 and about a month to wait to get it done. He
claimed to have done it before. I only gave $500 for
the car and thought this price was WAY out of line.
Later on I was telling my bro.-in-law about it and he
gave me the name of a fellow who welds on his
construction companies equipment. This guys shop was in
the seediest part of town.Two Saint Bernards for
protection. He looks at it, thinks for about five min.,
says this is going to run at least $200 and two maybe
three days in his shop. He did one hell of a job. That
frame is as strong as a tank. He used 1/8-1/4" plate
steel with 2" angle iron to "wrap" the frame. MIG
welded everything. Rebuilt the shock gussets, and
fabricated new "arms" for the rear bumper! Boy am I
lucky!
            Dave Gebhard
            1977 Spitfire