RE: Chroming roll bars - where?

To: "'Jeff McNeal'" <jmcneal@ohms.com>,
Subject: RE: Chroming roll bars - where?
From: "Mitchell, Douglas (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:32:51 -0500

[snippity snip]
> How does the chroming process "weaken" the metal or welds?  I don't
> understand how it could, but of course that would be a
> concern if it is
> true.
>
> The only other reason that I'm having second thoughts is
> because I'll have
> to have the rollbar sandblasted first to remove the paint --
> another expense
> involved with the process.  Oh well, I can get an estimate, at least.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeff

Jeff,

I am not a metalurgist, but I have been told about the weakening
by people who know the chroming process. I believe that it has to
do with the liquids that the part is dipped into as well as chemical
reactions to the chrome itself.

I had my tongue-in-my-cheek when I referred to the acceleration
earlier, but I have had more than a few lumps on my head from
hitting the roll bar. Keep in mind that you will have problems
with the tonneau cover.

Good luck,

Doug