Re: CRASH!-'79 Spit parts car for sale

To: wizardz <wizardz@maxinter.net>,
Subject: Re: CRASH!-'79 Spit parts car for sale
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:05:23 -0800 (PST)
Yikes, what an experience!
I agree. I drove Spitfires almost exclusively for my
first 5-6 years, in Miami traffic. It was great
training. Even today, no matter what I am driving, I
keep track of driver head movements, and changes in
front wheel angles of every car near me, watching for
that slight hesitation and wander of lane placement
that says, "Hey, I'm a bozo, and I don't even know
what planet I'm on". I just automatically assume that
everyone else is nuts. I am seldom disappointed.

Treat them as mobile chicanes.

Carter

--- wizardz <wizardz@maxinter.net> wrote:

> ...in 1981.... at 4:00 pm in the afternoon....
> I'm headed southbound on the highway... in the slow
> lane.
> (that puts the Sun on the passenger side of the
> vehicle.)
>
> While conversing with my passenger... out of the
> corner
> of my eye I see something rising up the front bonnet
> of my car.
> As I returned from a quick glance at my passenger,
> what I realize
> is on my hood is the shadow of the tractor trailer
> that is in the middle lane.
> (to my left - more easterly position than I)
> HE'S COMING OVER ON US!    screams my companion.
>
> My only option was to change lanes UNDER the truck.
> There was no shoulder
> on the bridge.   well.. maybe 15" from painted line
> to the wall)
>
> With only minor scraping of the aluminum trim on top
> the windshield frame,
> on the underside of the trailer... nothing was
> touched.
>
> By this time, my 6'5" passenger was completely off
> the seat down into the footwell.
> There were finger marks broken completely through
> the top of my ...what was then
> less than a 1 year old brand new 1980 Triumph
> Spitfire dashboard top where he had
> dug in   fear. (although he hates me to repeat it,
> but yes, he also soiled my seat!)
>
> The point of all this??
>
> Any mismatch in vehicle shape and size, bumper
> contact alignments, amount of metal
> between you and the other guy, attention span of the
> other guy... all doesn't matter.
> What matters is that YOU are paying attention....
> and drive under the assumption that
> you are completely invisible. You must assume that
> every idiot is about to plow into you.
>
> ...just my .02   YMMV
>
> Paul Tegler  wizardz@toad.net
> http://www.teglerizer.com
> OBie - '73 BGT - daily driver
> http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/ob_description.htm
> Punkin' - '78 Spitfire - corner ripping screamer
> http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit78.htm
> Lil' Greenee - '73 RWA Midget - lady killer
> http://www.teglerizer.com/midgetstuff/index.html

=== message truncated ===