Re: exon valdez oil pressure story

To: spitfires-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: exon valdez oil pressure story
From: "Keith Burns" <kayak_keith@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 14:45:57 PST
>Oil pressure switches commonly found on our cars are half plastic. I have
>seen them crack and leak oil.

     Yes they do.
     When I first got my spit running after a 9 month rebuild of the
suspension system and the hydraulics I took her for her first ride to
Wallmart to get a battery. It was evening and I live in a sparsely populated
area in the California foot hills. When I came back out there was a large
pool under the car. I opened the hood and could not see anything (no
flashlight).
    Well I turned on the motor and there it was pulsing like a jugular vain
pouring out her life blood on the pavement. After checking the oil level I
hoped in the car and drove to Kragens a couple of blocks away. I left a
trail like Hansel and Gretel. I asked for an oil preasure switch or
something to plug the hole but they were not helpful at Kragens.
     A friend walks in who works for Dave Bean selling Lotus parts (which
have a lot of triumph parts in them) and he said, ah ha!
It is a pipe thread they must have a plug here. He wandered all over the
shop and finally leaped behind the counter riffling through their hardware
boxes until he found a small brass plug. It cost 35 cents. I now carry it
with me always in case the plastic oil pressure switch ever gives way again.
Plugged her up topped off the oil and I was off!
A very exciting first ride!
Have Fun Triumphing!
Keith