Re: Luminition

To: "Marcus Schaper" <mschaper@gvpt.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: Luminition
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:52:10 -0000
Hi Marcus
Basic symptoms sound like 180 degrees out, it should run at TDC. Also I'd
ask why you used a luminition module with the Lucas electronic dizzy the
Lucas module would have been an easier match as they are made to go. I have
no experience with luminition so cannot answer the amplifier question, but
these systems are generally made for 12v and Triumph tended to use a system
where by the coil ran at 6v through a ballast resistor and started at 12v by
shorting the ballast resistor, this was supposed to improve starting. The
theory is that when you are cranking the engine the massive demand of the
starter causes a volt drop down to say 9v this system shows that 9v to a 6v
coil rather than the straight forward system which shows that 9v to a 12v
coil by simple maths the 6v system gives a larger spark to start the engine
than does the 12v system. So it may be that you still have the ballast
resistor connected and that the coils you have may be 12v and the dizzy may
require a 12v feed also.
I hope this is of some help!

Graham.