Luminition

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Luminition
From: "Marcus Schaper" <mschaper@gvpt.umd.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 21:22:02 -0500
Listers,

I just installed a electronic Lucas distributor, Lucas coil, and Luminition
module on a friend's '76 1500.
The problem is that the car will not start. Symptoms:
- spark is present but may be weak
- static timing adjusted to TDC
- retarding the timing results in exhaust backfiring
- advancing the timing does not change anything
- replacing the coil with a known to be good blue Bosch coil did not help.

I do not have a timing strobe so I adjusted the distributor so that the
Luminition switches at TDC.
I know that TDC is not the correct timing but should it not at least start or
try to fire up?

What would be the correct timing, static and at idle? It's a federal 1500,
single Stromberg, vacuum advance only distributor, all emissions items removed.

Does the Luminition need an amplifier? Right now the system consists of Lucas
distributor, Lucas coil, and Luminition module.

Cheers,
Marcus