Re: 9:1 1500 pistons...

To: Ean Houts <ehouts@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: 9:1 1500 pistons...
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:51:36 -0600
Ean --

The low compression Spit 1500 pistons have a dish carved out of the
top; the high compression ones have flat tops.

I'm not sure how you could differentiate without taking the head off.
You could perform a compression check I guess, and see if it's in the
range for 9:1.  That is, if you can crank the motor over.

BTW, doing a head gasket job on a Spit 1500 is easy -- no need to
rebuild the motor, unless damage has resulted.

Dan

>Unfortunately, my head gasket went south between cylinders 3&4, so I'm
>looking either rebuilding my motor or buying another...Since I also plan
>on autoxing it this year, I thought this would be an opportune time to
>put in the 9:1 pistons and do a few other tweaks to compete in Street
>Prepared rather than Stock.
>
>So, can anyone tell me how to visually tell if a piston is from a 9:1 vs
>from another year 1500?  I'm contemplating buying a rebuilt 1500 block
>from a guy, but he doesn't know which pistons were installed.
>
>thanks!
>Ean

Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, now with an O too. Runs & drives, but shakes
like crazy; needs new tires and a steering/suspension rebuild.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/gmachine/greenmachine.html

1957 TR3, TS15098L. Needs an O. Undergoing frame-off restoration begun 9/99.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/TR3/TR3.html

1988 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon. Gets me to work and back home again every day.
No home page. (go figure)