Re: Restoration progress

To: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Subject: Re: Restoration progress
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 21:43:04 -0700
Kevin,
I'd never recommend cutting those seized bolts out with a torch.  The
easy way is to get a hacksaw blade between the vertical link and the
trunnion.  Saw through the end with the head on it and it will come out
without using any heat.  I've done 3 of them like that and never lost a
single one.

Joe

KTnKT wrote:

> John, where did you buy your trunnion kits ?? I replaced both rear sets
> a month ago and it was by far the most difficult job I've had on this
> car yet. The bolt on the right one had become one with the inside sleeve
> and had to be dug out with a torch. What fun !!  I got new ones from
> V.B. and it was next to impossible to slide the assembly into place. I
> had to shave the nylon down somewhat to even get them close to going in
> (both sides). I also got a brake master cylinder rebuild kit from them
> and the rubber plunger seal broke trying to get it on, even after
> wetting it with brake fluif (had to do it). It appeared to be
> brittle...so when I found the trunnion bolt washers were the wrong size
> I was already used to the "cheap aftermarket parts" syndrome. Reading
> Jeff's thread about the lug nut ordeal got me thinking about what kind
> of parts are being distributed by these folks who claim to have parts
> manufactured to "factory specs" .?? I really didn't mean to go on a
> tyrade there, but was wondering if the trunnion kits are any better from
> other companies. On a good note, I ordered 5 new Pirelli 175/70 R13
> tires from Tirerack .com last Saturday night and recieved them on
> Wednesday. Only $45 each including shipping to Cape Cod, Ma.    Someday
> the car will be off the stands and I'll get to wear off the little nubs
> on the tread.................aahhh, dreams.......
> Kevin D. Thompson
> 1970 mk3 Spitfire...inch by inch, step by step...............

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer