Re: More Club Ranting

To: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More Club Ranting
From: R A Woodward <r.woodward@home.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 12:25:21 -0600

"Terry L. Thompson" wrote:

> Hanging on my wall is a Triumph ad from 1974 (?) that has a WW2 flying ace
> endorsing the plane. Even before WW2, Triumph had produced the "Southern
> Cross" (named for the first airplane to cross the Pacific in 1938, piloted
> by Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith). They liked planes.
>
> It's all about marketing. Triumph WANTED you to associate the spitfire car
> with the heritage of WW2 flying aces. Anyone have those cheep little
> buttons that have the WW2 Roundel with the word SPITFIRE on it? (Raising hand)

Looking back over the Spitfire advertising, it looks to me that the
"aeroplane" angle was late coming and short lived -in the 70's.

>From the earliest Spitfire ads I've seen, Triumph wanted you to
associate the Spitfire with picking up girls, amateur racing, and in
general a "Playboy" lifestyle.

Most of the original Spitfire owners I've spoken with would tell you
that WWII was the *last* thing on their mind when they decided that they
wanted a Triumph.

Myself, I associate my Spitfire with going to the beach.