Re: Long distance Spits

To: List Spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Long distance Spits
From: Dean Martz <dmartz@dns.lake-coe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:09:18 -0800
Jeff and the list,

                 ok, i'll chime in on the long distance spit debate. How far is
it from Washington

D.C. to Key West, Fla ???  Several years ago, I took a teaching job in the
Keys, because I

grew up in Fl. and was sick of D.C.(weather, traffic, the fact that it's D.C.,
and lastly,

Marion Barry. How much brainpower does it take to not vote for a crackhead...
twice ??) I

took my '80 Spit with 197,000 miles on it (it happens when you own one as a
daily driver

for 15 years) with the idea of retiring it on the very small island of Key West
(2mi X 4mi).

Then,  I got a load of the drive on the Overseas highway, from Miami  to Key
West . 150

miles of 2 lane blacktop with some nice long bridges connecting the islands in
a chain  and

nothing but water on either side. I decided I had to keep the car alive  long
enough to make

that drive a few more times before the car died for good (@208.000
miles...still have the

speedo ). If I guessed, I'd say the mileage from D.C. was 1200-1300 miles
one-way, with

no stops other than to replenish leaking fluids (including my own leak... ).
Sorry for the

length but, it's hard to stop reminiscing once you start...

Dean Martz

('63 Spit 4)