Re: Club name and image

To: "Rob Travis" <sixt6spitfire@hotmail.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Club name and image
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:51:21 -0800
> Although I mostly lurk, but would consider joining a club devoted to
Triumph
> Spitfires, I agree with Bill. I personally would shy away from the
emphasis
> on the military aspect, not to lessen the impact that the pilots played,
> even to the point of giving their lives. When I think of my spitfire it is
> usually in a more lighthearted venue.

Not to take anything away from the seriousness of the original purpose
of the Supermarine Spitfire, but I think if both in a more light hearted
way. And I've met someone who's dad was a Spitfire pilot-and he wasn't
insulted at all by this-in fact, he felt that it kept the spirit of his dad
alive!

I also know a couple of RAF pilots (of different vintages) and an RAF
mechanic-and they love the attitude of breazy adventure I have about both
the car and the aeroplane.

If it were all in such a serious vein-air shows (and air/car shows) wouldn't
pull
in the crowds that they do!

Speaking of the air/car show-the British Wings and Wheels event in Santa
Monica
is so popular with both the pilots and the car owners that it's been
expanded into a two
day event complete with a 40s dance!

Maybe I'm just politcally incorrect somehow, but then I'm not alone-and some
of my company are from the RAF! So, I don't mind!

Laura

Vita brevis est: rapide agite, vigore strigate!