Re: Mating GT6 Tranny to Spitfire 1300 engine

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Mating GT6 Tranny to Spitfire 1300 engine
From: "Ron Krantz" <rkrantz@Prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 10:05:22 -0500
Joe, The GT6 ratios are
1st    2.93
2nd    1.78
3rd    1.25
4th    1.00
The input shaft has to be modified to fit a spit.  Two options:
1.  GT6 clutch is 7.25 dia. and larger spline. Must shorten and grind pilot
on GT6 input shaft - use spit input for length and pilot OD dimensions.
also requires flywheel to fit clutch.
2. Modify GT6 input to match spit input.  Be sure to provide clutch disc as
sample because the depth of splines is different on spit.
I have done both.  The option 2 is my preference due to less rotating mass -
quicker engine response.  Then if you get beyond the power capabilities of
stock clutch(always use new disc-not rebuilt) you can go to Tilton clutch
setup and disc is same for spit and midgets= readily available.
Ron - ReK Racing