lugnuts versus hub nuts -- what's the diff?

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: lugnuts versus hub nuts -- what's the diff?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 12:09:45 -0800
I'm preparing to install a very nice, clean set of used wire wheels and
their mating hubs on my '67 Mk3 to replace the steel wheels on there now.

Back when I owned a different '67 Mk3 over 20 years ago, I replaced the
original wires with aluminum mags when my splines wore down and I needed a
quick (inexpensive) fix.  As I recall, I simply used the same nuts that held
the hub adapter on to attach the new wheels.  How are hub nuts different
than lug nuts?  Also, is there anything else I need to install when making
the conversion?  I was just planning on taking off the steel wheels,
mounting the splined hub adapters with either the same lugnuts (or hub nuts
if that's what's best) and simply popping on the wire wheels.

Thanks (AS ALWAYS) and Happy New Millennium!

Cheers,

Jeff in San Diego
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3