Re: oh that moon

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: oh that moon
From: "Michael Hightower" <mphtower@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 01:01:47 -0500
I'm not a guy who posts too much since I just got my Spitfire and am in the
process of getting it legal to drive on the road.  So, not much of the
Triumph related stuff is of note...yet.

However, the moon thing is interesting:

This is the brightest moon that any of us will see in our lifetimes, and
pretty much anyone we know will ever see (or has seen).  What makes it
special is that it's a full moon on the solstice, which hasn't happened in
133 years.  Actually, I've got something that someone forwarded to me, so
I'll just attach it here.

- Mike (the guy that doesn't speak up, but has a '76 Spitfire, '80 Fiat
X1/9, and '83 Toyota Land Cruiser)

Here's the forwarded message:

For the first time in the life of anyone around today, we'll see a full moon
occur on the Winter solstice, Dec. 22nd, commonly called the first day of
Winter.  Since a full moon on the Winter solstice occurrs in conjunction
with a lunar perigee (point in  the  moon's orbit that is closest to Earth),
the moon will appear about 14% larger than it does at apogee (the point in
its elliptical orbit that is farthest from the Earth). Since the Earth is
also several million miles closer to the sun at this time of the year than
in the summer, sunlight striking the moon is about 7% stronger making it
brighter. Also, this will be the closest perigee of the Moon of the year
since the moon's orbit is constantly deforming. If the weather is clear and
there is a snow cover where you live, it is believed that even car
headlights will be superfluous.

On December 21st, 1866 the Lakota Sioux took advantage of this combination
of occurrences and staged a devastating retaliatory ambush on soldiers in
Wyoming Territory.

In layman's terms: It will be a super bright full moon, much more than the
usual AND it hasn't happened this way for 133 years!  Our ancestors 133
years ago saw this.  Our descendants 100 or so years from now will see this
again.