Juddery steering - any ideas?

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Juddery steering - any ideas?
From: Richard Gosling <rbgos@perkins-engines.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:24:20 +0000
Daffy (my '78 Spit 1500) has developed a juddering through the steering
wheel at high speeds.  However, this only appears when cornering -
there's no vibration on the straight - which would seem to rule out the
most obvious cause of out of balance wheels.  Also I only seem to notice
it on the motorway (cruising speed 70-75 mph), not at lower speeds on
country roads (50-60 mph), although this may be simply because the
country roads I drive regularly don't have the same long, gently
sweeping curves I get on the motorway, so I may not be noticing it.

Anyone had this before?  Any idea what might be causing it?  All input
gratefully received - I'll try the cheapest options first!

Richard Gosling

Daffy (Inca yellow '78 Spit 1500)