Re: URGENT! How do I check non-running Spitfire?

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>,
Subject: Re: URGENT! How do I check non-running Spitfire?
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 23:07:10 -0500
At 01:08 PM 12/05/99 -0800, Jeff McNeal wrote:

>I just got back from viewing the "very clean and original" 1967 Triumph
>Spitfire "that needs the radiator cleaned and installed, a tune up and some
>new tires".

Disappointment <SNIPPED>

Jeff,

You obviously forgot to read the translation page for buyers and sellers
from the Team.net pages.   <http://www.team.net/sol/humour/ad_terms.html>

 To Wit:

+++++++

Official Car Advertisement Conversion Chart
How To Interpret Antique Car Ads
IF IT SAYS:     IT REALLY MEANS:

Rare model      Nobody liked them when new, either

Older restoration       Can't tell it's been restored

Needs engine work       Its been frozen for 30 years

Uses no oil     Just throws it out

No rust         Body and fenders missing

Rough           It's too bad to lie about

One owner       Never been able to sell

No time to complete     Can't find parts anywhere

Needs interior          Seats are gone

Rebuilt engine          Has new spark plugs

May run                 But never has

Low mileage             Third time around

29 coats of handrubbed paint    Needed that much to cover the rust

Clean           It sat in the rain yesterday

Always driven slowly            About what I expect to get

Prize winner            Hard luck trophy 3 times in a row

Stored 25 years         Under a tree

Real show stopper               Orange with purple fenders

Easy restoration                Parts will come off in your hands

Ready to show           Just washed it

Top good                Only leaks when it rains

Good investment         Can't depreciate any more

(By Steve Laifman)

Hope this cheered you up a little.  YOUR car will turn up!

Regards,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA