Re: Busted manifold stud (continued)

To: jknox@erie.net, spitfires@autox.team.net, pabowen@mediaone.net
Subject: Re: Busted manifold stud (continued)
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:30:04 EST
In a message dated 11/29/1999 5:13:08 AM !!!First Boot!!!, jknox@erie.net
writes:

<< Might I also suggest a left hand drill bit when drilling the bolt out.
I've
 found that the heat, friction, and the hole in the center will often times
 pull the offending bolt out without then going to an easy out.  Works as
 often as not.

 John Knox >>

Sounds reasonable. Left or right, it seems drilling will deliver some heat
and vibration to the inner core of the stud and maybe free it up somehow. I
think uneven heat at the front of the stud was what did me in before. I had
never tried to free a nut by heat before. At this point, I'm also considering
a small charge of C-4 right behind the exhaust manifold.

Tom Burke
80 Spitfire (Don't force it, get a bigger hammer)